Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Book Review Tuesday No. 3


This week's book review is The Widow of the South by Robert Hicks. Although fictionalized, this book is based on a real woman.



I loved this book, it was so well written and I love the Civil War era, so it is hard for me not to enjoy this book. I admit, while I am not an expert on the Civil War, it is my favorite wars to read about (I know, a favorite war?! Now, I hate war, but the history of it is fascinating).

Anyway, this story is centered around The Widow Carrie McGavock, who takes care of a cemetery of soldiers long dead. There are flashbacks of her life during the Civil War, and her struggles along with those closest to her. After a battle takes place on her family's properties, her home is transformed into a make-shift field hospital. While tending to the wounded and dying, she meets one particular soldier who she forms a bond with, and soon feelings form that she can't help.

Wonderful language, angst and love loss, romance, battle, human emotions...this book has it all. If you enjoy historical fiction, complex emotions, and real characters I highly recommend. The author has another book out, I do own it, but I have yet to read it. It is on my long, long list of books I need to read!



No comments:

Post a Comment