Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Book Review No. 32 - Spirit Conjuring for Witches by Frater Barrabbas

Salaam friends, I hope you have all been well. I've been struggling a little. Some pesky health issues have cropped up, setting me back. But, I am trying to not let it get me down.

So in the honor of Book Review Tuesdays, I've finally got to finish a book I started several weeks ago.

This week, I want to write a little bit about "Spirit Conjuring for Witches" by Frater Barrabbas. This is a heft book on spirit conjuring, if this is something you wish to incorporate in your practice I highly recommend. 



Barrabbas doesn't assume you know anything about spirit conjuration, so he provides a well written guide from start to finish. He opens the book by discussing the sort of "lost art" of spirit conjuring by famous witches of days past. He believes this practice in an integral part of witchcraft history that sort of disappeared in the current trends of magick. This was an interesting chapter to read, a little over my head a bit, but well-written.

Next, the author gets to the nitty-gritty about how to prepare for spirit conjuring. What things you need to practice (like casting a circle and much more) before you should attempt to spirit conjure. He goes through some techniques, history, and nomenclature associated with the spirit world. Lots of really great info here about the hierarchy of spirits. 

After you have a solid foundation, Barrabbas provides step by step, in-depth sections on conjuring spirits. He writes about how the ritual has many parts, each an important step in achieving your goal in conjuration. There is a lot of setting aside ego and work involved in this process, so it really is important to be dedicated to this work. 

This is a very well-researched and thought-out guidebook. Barrabbas is an elegant writer, with an obvious mastering of this subject. At times it felt a little heavy, but in honesty it is a heavy subject. I read it out of curiosity, so I can't write about how successful someone will be using this book. The thought of actually conjuring a spirit scares me a little, but if you are willing to put in the work (and you will need several months of intense study to be successful) then this is a good tool to have in your toolbox.

If you have read this book, let me know. I would love to hear how your spirit conjuring journey went. 

Until next time,
Jenny

No comments:

Post a Comment