Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Book Review No. 20 - The New Divine Feminine by Meghan Don

Welcome back! Let us dive right in, shall we? This week I read "The New Divine Feminine" by Meghan Don. I didn't know what to expect with this book, and the cover has the tag line "Spiritual Evolution for the Woman's Soul". 
 
 
I read this book with an open mind, but truthfully it really wasn't something I normally pick up. As it is centered around Christian religious figures (or at least Gnostic Christian religious figures) that I don't really connect to. The author gave a lovely introduction and breakdown of the book, which I appreciated. And I did like the idea Don suggests, that these women should be seen as motivators and integral parts for the story and not nefarious characters.
 
Each chapter examines a different part of a woman's psyche of sorts. Don breaks it down into chapters like "Daughter of Light" which is Eve, and "Daughter of Dark" (Lillith) and how these women have important lessons to teach us and show us how to appreciate the light and dark sides of our nature. There are meditations, prayers and mantas for each section. These are really short, only a paragraph or so, and I'm not 100% sure what the mantras are supposed to do, but they are fun to say.
 
This book had a positive message, and some people may find  how the author explores our duality and the nature of the feminine divine really attractive. I didn't hate the book, but I don't see myself referencing it or anything either. It definitely has a niche audience, and I just happen to fall outside that niche. I'm glad I read it for a different perspective and approach to the feminine divine. 
 
Until next time,
Jenny

No comments:

Post a Comment