Thursday, June 30, 2016

Business Trip across the Pond!

I can't believe how neglectful I've been on this blog. Truly, it's a shame. In trying to get back to this, and other things that make me happy, I'll try to get a few new posts up a month.
 
Anyways....
 
Last November, my husband got a message from his boss saying he may have an opportunity to get to do some training in England. Needless to say, I was so thrilled and we started making tentative plans just in case he got to go. 
Well jump forward a few months, and he gets the green light for the training! 
 
I have to say I've wanted to visit the UK since I was a little girl, and I will admit I am a huge anglophile.  

So, to make a long story short we traveled to Ipswich, England in the end of April for 4 days. I had an amazing time, and wanted to share some pictures.
Unfortunately for hubby, he spent most of his day in training. I, however, took full advantage of our time there and walked about a 100 miles around Ipswich. Most of the sites I went to were free, or I paid a small donation fee. 
Ipswich Tourist Information Centre

I recommend visiting the Ipswich Tourist Information Centre first. Its in one of the 13 medieval churches dotting Ipswich.  They had lots of local items for sale, plus an incredibly nice staff that helped my plan my trip around town. Also free maps!

I went to the Ipswich Museum. They have an amazing Victorian Era taxidermy collection, Saxon Kings exhibit, and a replica Egyptian tomb. Plus much more, I spent a few hours there with a few other patrons. 
Ipswich Museum 
 Also, I stopped by Christchurch Mansion and took a fantastic self-guided tour. This also had an art exhibit of several famous local painters John Constable and Thomas Gainsborough . For more info on John Constable, visit Artsy. This mansion was amazing, it had several rooms set up in different eras, which was really neat. Also, I felt a little fancy walking around the place.
 Christchurch Mansion
  Throughout the trip I got to walk by and explore several of the medieval churches. I didn't get a chance to visit them all, but I did take time to explore which ones I could. 

St. Mary-le-Tower

St. Mary-le-Tower, renovated in the 1800's and an active church, had its doors open to all visitors. I was able to spend an hour in almost complete solitude. A very moving, and peaceful experience.

One of the highlights of my trip was taking a little day trip to Framlingham, to visit the castle! A real castle!
Framlingham Castle.
 
I have to say, the hour trip by bus was worth it. My bus driver was fantastic, she was tremendously helpful and she was extremely skilled at maneuvering that huge public bus through narrow country lanes. I got to see some stunning English countryside and explore a 800 year old castle. Framlingham is a picturesque little village with friendly people and pretty shops. 
 
Having visited, I think I could live in England. I fell in love, and didn't want to come back! 
Until next time,
Jenny

 

No comments:

Post a Comment