Friday, September 29, 2017

Book Review No. 46 - A Dangerous Woman from Nowhere by Kris Radish

Hello there again, welcome back. I haven't been into much lately, except spending way too much time looking at all the Halloween goodies online and in stores. As this is my favorite time of year, I tend to go a bit nutty.

If you like westerns, especially ones with a strong female main character, I think you will enjoy "A Dangerous Woman from Nowhere" by Kris Radish. This is technically a love story, but not in a smutty, naughty romance sort of way, this book isn't in that genre (not there is anything wrong with a nice trashy romance set in the American west).
 

Set in the 1860's in the Colorado territory, right in the middle of the western gold rush, overnight Briar's life is turned upside down. Her husband is kidnapped, a former demolition expert.  A mining company abducts him to work in their mine way up in the mountains. Desperate to get her husband back, Briar sets off on a dangerous trek across the rugged countryside to find her husband before it is too late. 

The story is told from the perspective of several key characters. Briar makes some unusual companions along the way, each with a complicated past. But they are all dedicated to getting Briar's husband home. The underlying theme of the whole book is how love can overcome a lot of obstacles, and how it can form life-time bonds.

I liked this book, I really did, until about 2/3 of the way through. And then it sort of fizzled out. All the momentum sort of just went out of the story, and there was a lengthy wrap up of how each of the characters lived out the rest of their lives. I guess I just wanted there to be more. It isn't a bad story by any means, but I think the ending could have been much better.
 
That's all I have for this week, I'm off to go enjoy the cooling weather and maybe make some ginger tea.
Until next time,
Jenny

No comments:

Post a Comment