Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Book Review No. 25 - Cattail Moonshine & Milkweed Medicine by Tammi Hartung

Welcome! Aloha! Last week was long, long week for me for some reason. I am not sure why, but it was difficult to get anything done. I did happen to finish this lovely gem of a book called " Cattail Moonshine & Milkweed Medicine: Amazing Facts & Curious Uses for 43 Plants You Thought You Knew" by Tammi Hartung.
 
 
This book is incredibly well researched, packed with so much information in easy to read chapters on each plant. Hartung provides medicinal, culinary, industrial and folk-traditions for these plants and herbs in wonderfully written prose. I enjoyed the illustrations in the book as well, providing a simple guide to identifying the plants. Also, I like how Hartung includes how different indigenous and native people used these plants in their cultures. 
Another enjoyable aspect of the book is the narrative story Hartung shares about certain plants, incorporating these interesting tales into the main content. These stories provide real-life ways people use these plants in a variety of ways. 
 
Not all of the plants are available in my region, and unfortunately I have a black thumb, so won't be growing most of them. But I'm always trying to expand my herbal knowledge (which I am not very knowledgeable on the subject at all), and this really was a treasure of a book. After reading this, I want to make a small herb garden, maybe I will try my hand in the Spring.
 
I hope you've enjoyed this installment of Book Review Tuesday, until next time lovies!
Jenny

No comments:

Post a Comment